The Venetian castle has been an undisputed jewel of the city of Rethymno for centuries. Dating back to 1575, the fortress of Rethymno rises up on the hill of Palaiokastro ovelooking the city.
Important structures found within the Fortress of Rethymno:
- The warehouse of artillery, where cannons and armor were stored
- The residence of the Directors, house of one of the two Venetian Councilors of the city
- The residence of the Rector, a luxurious and magnificent building in the main square of the fortress
- The mosque of Ibrahim Khan
- The small church of Agios Theodoros Trichinas (St. Theodore the Hair-Shirt Wearer)
- Erofili Theater, which every summer hosts the Renaissance Festival of Rethymno.